FARMER's MARKET


I have worked in 3 different countries and the work ethics just varies across the globe. Some believe in the high service syndrome and while others just want their tasks done. We left work early on friday; me and my colleagues went out to play STREET FIGHTER. Growing up , i used to think games were for kids , now i know better. It was a fun filled event , got back home and went straight to bed.
My mum , and the entire family clan were suppose to visit me on saturday , so i ran out to farmers market in DC(Distric of Columbia).
Meat buying in america is a different ball game from my regular shopping at Oshodi. The major difference is just the variety of meat . You can more or less demand for meat to the tiniest specific .
Well, i went into the cold room(freezing like hell) to get my stuff. I was looking for some cow feet , croaker fish , goat meat and some other eateries. I was unable to find the cow feet; with my body shivering all over, i asked the chinese man co-ordinating affairs in the freezer where the cow feet was stored.

[Me]: Hey, hey , where cow feet ?
[Chinese man]: Oh..bokoto .. good, good . Back...back.

I stood there amazed , the word, "bokoto" meaning cow feet is a yoruba term i think. Globalization has made words move around the globe . I further inquired from him , where the chicken box is ?

[Chinese man]: Left, back...back

I went to the back and picked a box of chicken and as i made my way to the exit door. The chinese man approached me sayin

[Chinese man]: no no no .. this american chicken.You african.. obasanjo chicken is good for you. Go..go get obasanjo chicken...blue box.

I guess this chinese attendant has dealt with too many africans and definitely know we all buy the "Obasanjo chicken" . The obasanjo is so hard , a milk teeth cannot wrestle the meat on it.

I finished select all the things i needed , and now joined the line for the meat to be cut. Gosh , the line was very , very long. It was as if everyone wanted to buy meat. As we stayed on the line waiting to be attended to , the drama started. This lady made arrangements with her friend in front of line, and before we knew what was happening , she took her items to the front of the line. I wanted to start trouble , but i wanted someone else to complain first. THe man by my side , a lecturer in Howard university just started ranting silently beside me

[Howard Lecturer]: This people dont change. Does she think this is africa, that you can jump the line.
[Me]: Well, i guess people remain people anywhere in the world, it is the laws that make them sit tight.

A lady with scarf wrapped all over her head walked up the front counter , and took the stuff of the woman who jumped the line. That was how the drama started

[Scarf woman]: Look here , we are not "suegbes" here. Take your stuff to the back.
[Line jumper lady]: Look here woman , i was here first... respect yourself.
[Scarf woman]: Lailai... you cant cut any meat here, today...no one can cheat me again... "we go dabaru this place".

The lecturer now had enough courage to join the discussions.

[LEcturer]: Woman , we came here before you , it is polite enough for you to respect the rules of the store. Join the line behind.
[Line jumper lady]: Look here old man , This is the reason why your wife left you. Old man like you coming to buy meat early in the morning. Na your wife or pikin suppose dey do this kind thing.
[Lecturer...angry]: Are you talking to me like that ... in short you are not going to cut any meat here today.

Another man joined the conversation

[Man]: Look at you yabbing someone , where your husband.
[Line jumper lady]: Look at my ring ... na correct guy.
[Man]: Na sugar daddy or na husband you get...with this your "panda"(fake) ring. No wonder the guy decide to punish you ...make only you come buy trailer of meat here...no help.

I stood there laughing my butts and saying to myself . " i never knew that there was this kind of fun here ,otherwise i wont stay at home."

Lecturer went to get the supervisor, and the korean man who owned the store , came and checked the receipt serial number of everyone and told the lady to join the line at the back. While all these rantings were going on , an african american was busy trying to hussle us to buy perfume and cologne from him.

[African american] "Dodo Maiyaki" ...can you smell it. I know this place smells like meat. But nothing smells as good as "Dodo Maiyaki" and armani .

I told him i was not interested in any Maiyaki or armani. Later on, my meat was chopped into consumable pieces and the chinese man helped me to take the items to my car. I handed him a 5 dollar note and said thank you. He replied simply

[Chinese man]: thank you.. you good man.. others others..jebu jebu.
I was wondering what he meant by jebu jebu...then it suddenly clicked... he was trying to say Ijebu. Others are Ijebu's meaning they are stingy.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

THE NIGERIAN YOUTH, THE FUTURE (TECHNOLOGY AND ENTERTAINMENT)

DIASPORA CRIES - PASSPORT/VISA WOES

Nigeria a@50 - Day 27 : I LOVE HOME