I have always thought i could handle anything , i repeat anything without being moved or pressured against my will. I was running low on cash (september 2007). I decided to rent out a room from one of my overglorified bungalow. At least that would help me with the cash flow.
Placed an advert on craigslist for someone who is trying to rent a room An average age man called in and scheduled an appointment .
He came to look at the room and asked all the regular questions about how much i wanted to collect , what he was allowed to do and the things he would bring along. Eric , quoted all the scriptures available in the bible , he seemed well knowledgeable of the bible , and seemed to be a spiritual person. Well i had no problem with that , all i wanted was no trouble and prompt payment.

He told me he was going to move in friday night , i gave him the keys and kept copies of his license and social security. I went partying with the boys that friday night and got home around 2a.m in the morning.
I was amazed with what i saw , my house was a good case study for extreme make over. The exquisite furniture was nice , the lamps were just changing colors(green , blue , red) . He plugged in one electric air fresher that gave the place a whole new smell. I was amazed with what i saw , this guy must be from another planet , no wonder he is broke .
He has too much decoration , pictures , paintings , flower pots etc.
Well , i had no problem with the decor , only that i want my oracle textbooks and my ovation magazines on the table.

In the morning , i knocked on the door of his room to tell him the cable man was around , and would like to connect his TV . I opened the door , i was amazed with the interiors of his room. I have always seen a room as a place to sleep , but he has changed that definition as a palace to lay. His bedset is a marvel, i am still going to get those big pole bedset this year.

I was trying to get the cable wires on the ground when suddenly i stumbled upon a picture on the wall which says
"Adam and Eve , the way God created it". I looked keenly at the picture and saw that the picture has two males.
Suddenly , my brain clicked , this guy is one of those funny people. I was just asking myself questions , "Doyin what have you gotten yourself into ?
The law does not permit me to kick him out based on his sexual preferences . So i have to endure with him for 6 months , gosh.

I went to the hardware store /sports store that afternoon to buy some self defense equipments , got some baseball bats and some other dangerous equipments for trimming grass.I kept those things in different locations in my room , just in case.

Eric is just one of those nightmerish tenants , his checks(cheques) bounced every month , and would come out with those brother brother nonsense. I told him one day that he should not be deceived by my gentlemanly looks , that i was capable of causing trouble and i mean a lot of trouble.
Eric came in most weekends with one guest , claiming the guy is his cousin , or nephew . But my mind would not fall for that. I knew what his antics were.
And most of those nights , i struggled to sleep , even my country music collections could not get me to bed.

What made matters worst , was some neighbours started making advances at me. The guy 2blocks away greeted me one morning while i was trying to trim down my pot belly .. "Morning Dion, nice shorts" . After jogging pass him , it now clicked , what would make this guy talk about my shorts. I stood there checking my shorts for some minutes to see if it revealed too much. Since that day , i stopped jogging with shorts, i started using tracks.

Eric , called me one morning stating he was having financial troubles and he wont be able to pay for the month

[Eric] Dion , please i like to discuss some issues with you
[doyin] what is that eric
[Eric] am having issues with my job and would be late on rent this month
[doyin] ..hey Eric .. dont give me that crap meen ...i dont want to hear it. My money is due at the end of the month , i dont care what happens to you . You either pay me or move out
[Eric] what kind of christian are you
[doyin] where in the bible did they mention that any of the apostles did not pay rent..please and please my rent is due at the end of the month.

i really could have been flexible on the rent for that month , but i was looking for an excuse to get him out. And also , there was no need to pity him , he had an expensive car(BMW) and me the landlord was still jump starting my camry.

He came home that evening and told me he was moving out at the end of the month and if i was okay with that.
I told he was free , he should just take every single thing he brought in. Nothing more , nothing less. Eric moved out peacefully , and i moved all the self defense equipments to the basement. What still lingers on is the way my neighbour winks at me every morning ...even while jogging with my tracks. I still dont know how to get it across to him that i dont play hanky panky.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

THE NIGERIAN YOUTH, THE FUTURE (TECHNOLOGY AND ENTERTAINMENT)

DIASPORA CRIES - PASSPORT/VISA WOES

Nigeria a@50 - Day 27 : I LOVE HOME